Friday, August 29, 2008

Times Up

It’s time to regroup and time to re-think my options. I’ve been to see the neurosurgeon and the news wasn’t all that good. He could fix my current problem and give me some new ones in return. And he doesn’t want to. I’m too young. And possibly too active. Or I could be active if I didn’t hurt all of the time. He was a good doctor and very thorough. But he said that what he would have to do to me (surgically) would ‘put a world of hurt on you.’ And so he is recommending that I pursue the epidural steroid injections for now.

Okay; maybe racewalking is out. Forever. I’ve seen the x-rays and the MRI. It’s not a pretty picture. In fact, I might even try to scan in one of the latest x-rays where it’s all too apparent that the nerves are being pinched. The MRI takes a lot more interpretative skills.

And somehow, with his leading the way, the conversation came around to bicycles and he said that he recommends recumbent bikes for his patients with similar problems. Except, he told me that they all had horror stories of almost being run over by negligent motorists. I can only imagine. Especially as it seems that so many motorists have a problem seeing a normal sized bike and rider.

Of course I like the idea of a bike and a chance to be out and moving. Somewhere. Anywhere. But there are all sorts of logistical problems with one. For instance, where do you put it in your car? On your car? Behind your car? And would I have to change the focus of this blog to cycling?

No comments: