Monday, July 13, 2009

Finally

Life goes on. And what is today? It's the day before, of course. The day before a whole new life for me. Tomorrow at this time I will be getting ready for the trip into Chico; to Enloe Hospital and my long awaited surgery. A laminectomy, foraminotomy and spinal fusion with instrumentation, to be a little more exact. And if the surgery has the expected outcome, I will be pain free for the first time in…oh, let's say 20 months.

OK, not completely pain free; not at first. I will still have to deal with the surgical pain. Dr. Mimbs, my neurosurgeon, has told me that immediately after the surgery, I will feel as if I've been run over by a truck. His truck. He apologizes for that, but it's to be expected. And he tells me that I will be in love with the 'clicker' for my PCA. (Patient Controlled Analgesia pump) That's the pump that delivers morphine as needed. I can certainly understand that kind of love! But, he also told me that I will not feel the pain in my hip and legs that has plagued me for so long.

Recovery will take from 6 months to 1 year. Which is a whole lot better than 'no recovery', which is what I had to look forward to if I didn't have the surgery.

That's the physical effect of this surgery. There is also a mental effect to deal with. I will have to become a person who is not in pain. That pain has controlled every aspect of my life for the past 20 months and it has changed me in ways that even I do not know of; yet. I have to imagine life with hope. I have to imagine life without Vicodin.

And it all starts tomorrow at 7:30, the expected time for surgery. After waking up in the recovery room, I can expect to enjoy a week in the hospital. I doubt that I will be allowed to use my netbook computer while I'm there. I'm taking a notebook and pen so that I can continue my daily journal in written form. That's what I'm hoping that I can do. I'm not sure how well or legibly I will be able to write while using the PCA, but I will give it a try.

And after all of that, I can begin dreaming of marathons again…

1 comment:

Kitty said...

Well, I will be thinking of you and praying for a great outcome. Your new life is ready to begin and your hope and positive attitude makes it all the better. Please have Laurae call me when you come out of surgery. You have my Cell? I will call you tonight to make sure.