Monday, February 26, 2007

The blahs

Once again I am getting ready for the Bidwell ½ marathon; that's coming up this next weekend. Will I be ready? Maybe not physically, but I’m hoping that the mental preparation will carry me through the tough spots. The course is very familiar and I know pretty much just how long it takes to go from point A to point B and then to C, etc, etc.

And I have been training; sort of. I have the wintertime blahs and I really need an attitude transplant. The other day I did a 5 mile plus walk and at a good speed, but I started out with the usual mental complaints and it wasn’t until I had gone about 2 miles before I began to feel a little more positive about what I was training for. Even then, although I had done a 37 minute 5K just the week before, I could only manage a 38.5 minute 5K time.

I really need to relax and not stress about my performance. It’s all about my health, my level of fitness, and not whether I can beat someone to the finish line. All I have to do is remember that there are thousands of people in the Chico area that didn’t even think about walking 13.1 miles on Saturday…and if they had, they wouldn’t.

No comments: