Monday, February 05, 2007

Race Time Coming

I’ve just come back from a good walk in the park, doing a 5K walk in 38:44. Last year, I did the Durham Almond Blossom 5K in a time of 37:49. So it looks like I’m on track to do as well as last year, despite a woeful lack of training time. (It’s only woeful because I have neglected it…)

This morning’s walk started out in the usual manner, with my wondering; why I was doing this? This is painful! It’s been about 3 weeks since I last raced and it showed in my heavy breathing for the first half mile. Then the mood altering began as I went further and faster. By the time I had finished doing a total of 5.29 miles (in 69 minutes…13.04 minute/miles) I was feeling pretty positive about the workout. Now I have to see how much I weigh. This is the scary part! Oops…207.8. Shame on me.

Now I have a goal. Lose the 10 pounds I gained since the Portland marathon in October of last year. With 7 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild, I have lots of additional reasons to lose the weight and stay fit. I really would like to see them all grow up and to be present at the important events in their lives.

No comments: