Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Smart Move

I decided to go ahead and race this morning and I was at the registration table early. I paid my money and got a shirt and a number; then it was back to the car to put the shirt away for another day. OK, I’m ready and have about 45 minutes to burn before the start.

I noted that there seemed to be less of a crowd than in years past and I suppose the threat of a storm has kept the fair weather racers away and that was fine with me.

After doing lots of stretches and sprints to warm up, I was ready for the race to begin, but as usual, it was about 10 minutes after 9 before the pistol was fired. And this time I kept my focus on me and not on the others surrounding me as we left the schoolyard and headed onto the course. I was racing for myself and not competing against anyone. Good move, as pretty soon I was all by myself. Runners ahead of me and slow walkers behind.

Although I brought my GPS unit with me, I didn’t bother looking at it, preferring to enjoy the rhythm of my own race. And pretty soon I was past the half way mark and heading home. It was about then that I felt I might be slowing some, so I decided to move the pace up a little. It’s really hard to estimate your performance when you’re all by yourself.

Finally I saw the entrance to the school parking lot and so I gave it a little boost and walked across the finish line in an estimated 39:44. I was fairly certain that I was the first walker across, but who knows? There might have been someone I missed seeing.

After a bottle of water and a banana, I sat down in the auditorium to await the official results and was quite happy to find out that they would announce the walking events first. Sure enough, I was winner (for the third year in a row) and added a medal and plaque to my stash. And while they were handing me the goodies, I tried to read the official time on the clipboard and it looked like 39:33, which would be even better. The paper will have the official results tomorrow. Either way, it was under 13 minute miles and I like that!

Let's see...last year's time was...37:20 and the year before that was 37:49. Ya know, if I had had some competition today, I would have done as well or better than last year...I know it!

No comments: