Thursday, February 19, 2009

Big Sigh

It's been awhile since I posted anything here, on what used to be my racing blog. So, to keep things updated, here is where I am physically. The last of the benefits from an corticosteroid injection into the right SI joint is fading away. It's been about a month since that injection. I was told that it might be a good idea to have one more epidural injection at the L-4, L-5, S-1 site. No thanks. After 5 different injection during the past 6 months, I'm out of patience. And 'might' is not a word I care for.

I asked our GP to refer me to a physiatrist, a doctor specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation. The GP thought it was a good idea as well. Then, after a long week, the consulting physician called and told the GP that there was nothing he could do for me. He had read my charts and that was that. Back to square one.

Major depression. OK, could the GP call a surgeon for a second opinion consultation? Yes, but since there is only one neurosurgery practice in town, he might not be able to get that second opinion. We'll see.

So, in the meantime, I read all I can on Spinal Stenosis and the prognosis for those that have it. If I have conventional surgery to relieve the pressure on the vertebrae, it's a given that the pain will still be there, but reduced. No cure and no guarantee that I can return to racing.

And then I read this, "Surgery is typically less effective for age-related or arthritic spinal stenosis. It may provide reasonable short-term relief, but long-term relief is less certain."

And I also read that physical therapy is important in the treatment of Stenosis. I had PT at the beginning of this episode in my life, but it was prescribed for what I thought was Piriformis Syndrome. So I have never had PT for Stenosis and nobody has suggested it. Why not? Apparently I need to mention that to someone.

And as I read, I was reminded once more about the possibility of MEL (Micro-Endoscopic Laminotomy) being used for surgical relief of Stenosis pain. Is there a surgeon around that can do this? This excites me.

And last, because of my being depressed about all of this, I have decided to try knitting as a method to take my mind off the pain. The knitting is not going as well as I had hoped for. (though it does change my mood) And I'm a long ways away from a scarf! I have learned to 'cast on' successfully and I know the theory of knitting. It's the actual practice of knitting that eludes me. My hands are like those you see on cartoon characters; big white gloves and three fingers. I've tried 3 different needle sizes without much luck. Maybe I should blame it on the yarn?

Link to eMedicine article

And a link to MEL article

No comments: