Thursday, April 09, 2009

Spondylolisthesis and Stenosis

Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment:

"Spinal fusion surgery for a degenerative spondylolisthesis is generally quite successful, with upwards of 90% of patients improving their function and enjoying a substantial decrease in their pain. The hospital stay typically ranges from one to four days. It is a difficult surgery to recover from as there is a lot of dissection, and it can take up to a year to fully recover. Usually, most patients can start most of their activities after the fusion has had three months to heal. Once the bone is fused, then the more active the patient is the stronger the bone will become."

An interesting article. And I have to say that the internet is a great tool for medical research. My kind of research… no rocket science, just facts. But, at the same time, I find all sorts of advertising on the sidebars that leave me conflicted; will my surgeon use the latest and greatest of the various hardware sets available? (Instrumentation) Sometimes too much knowledge is a real pain. Did I say that?

No comments: