Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pain Updates

I’m back from my first trip to the pain clinic. What fun! What pain! (Is this what old age is all about?) Dr. Lal is quite young and obviously fit; he is a rock climber. I envy him. He also has quite a practice; he’s a very busy man. I joined half a dozen others that were being processed through the back room where the treatment table with a fluoroscope is located. Up on the table, a quick IV shot of pain meds; roll over onto your stomach and then a local anesthetic. Wait just a second and then the search for the offending nerve, using a much larger needle. JEEKERS! He found it…twice. Then it’s about 30 minutes before I could walk again. Now that I’m home, I’m waiting for a miracle. I’ve been told that it could take a few weeks. Grrr!


What was the absolute worst part? The fact that they put me into a wheelchair until I recovered enough to walk. I had this vision of myself being in such a chair forever. I didn’t like it. At heart I'm still a marathoner.

No comments: