Friday, November 07, 2008

Sort of fit

I hadn't planned on making my racewalking blog a health issue blog, but there you are. Things happen. And although I haven't made it back to training yet, I still have hopes; sort of. Some days are positive and others not. But until I can make it past the Stenosis pain barrier, I'm somewhat stuck here in the middle, emotionally.

Yesterday, I made it through another milestone of sorts. The family physician had noted my irregular heartbeat and odd EKG and so he had referred me to a cardiologist for an echo stress test. The problem had been noted and resolved some ten years ago with a similar stress test, but no records exist locally. A benchmark needed to be established and so I was in the cardio lab for a stress echocardiogram.

It's a painless test where you get to pedal a 'bicycle' while laying on your back. And attached to the EKG machinery. Before and during this test they view your heart with an echo transducer that is moved to various spots on your chest to view the heart. Short story, it's hard work getting your heart rate up to the level they want and then it was all anticlimactic as the doctor pronounced me in fine health.

Yes, fine. Cardio fine. But the ten minutes of horizontal biking had me in pain later in the evening as the Stenosis problem reacted to the abuse. So it's back to the pain management doctor to see if he has any more tricks in his bag. It's obvious to me that the RF Lesioning procedure has failed…

Ps. The technician told me that I looked fit. I would have kissed him, but it seemed somewhat inappropriate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, if you can just alleviate the pain...you will be in good shape both inside and out.

Sylvia K said...

I hope you can alleviate the pain -- it's no fun, that's for sure.