Friday, November 21, 2008

Update

I seem to be quite chatty this morning. A good thing. And I think it's because I have awakened with less pain than normal. Will it stay that way? I sure hope so, but I'm continuing with the ibuprofen therapy anyway. And I will do some more Wii Fit exercises. I am very unsteady because of a loss in core strength and I need to maintain what I can of it.

I went to my appointment with the doctor at the Chico Pain Clinic but I didn't see the doctor, I saw a nurse/practitioner instead. A good thing as he seemed to have the answers I was looking for and I really wasn't looking forward to what Dr. Lal might have said.

Steve, the NP, said that it didn't make sense to pursue any more RF Ablation procedures. Mine didn't work and another one wouldn't help. He thought I should try another epidural steroid (cortisone) injection to get some temporary relief and then it was time for a referral to another surgeon for a second opinion and to a physiatrist. He wants to see me go to San Francisco for that. I'm not sure that I want to go all of that way and then be linked for future visits to the Bay area forever. I'm going to ask about some local doctors as well.

I spent some time browsing the net again after my meeting with the NP at the Pain Clinic and I found this link

I've already talked to one surgeon about the X-Stop, an Interspinous Process Spacer. But I had no idea there were so many others! A good thing… as the surgeon I talked to said the X-Stop had a 40% failure rate. Yes, that does mean a 60% success rate, but with my recent luck…

So now I wait for the Pain Clinic to call and give me a date for the epidural. For some odd reason, they are unable to give you 'instant' appointments while you are at their office; it always requires a wait. A feature of modern medicine.


 

No comments: