Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Alternate Medicine

I was just putting another log on the fire and Boo the Cat was sleeping in front of the woodstove. She looked up briefly as I opened the door and placed the log on a bed of coals. Then she returned to her nap. A few years ago she would have bolted and run to another part of the house as soon as she saw me with something in my hand. Why do I write about this? Because Boo the Cat has become quite important to me. It's a fact that cats will reduce your blood pressure. Yes, they will. Dogs can't do that. Not that dogs aren't talented in their own way, they simply don't 'do' blood pressure. And pets relieve pain. That's something that dogs and cats can do together and with equal talent.

So Boo the Cat has now become my alternate pain reliever as well. When I lay down on the couch for a nap and a moment or two of pain relief, she will soon notice me and leap up onto my chest. Now she weighs about 7 pounds, but she can land light as a feather when she wants to. Once on my chest, she slowly moves up until she is snuggled under my chin. And we sleep.

No comments: