Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Can’t be mine…

Walkers. I used to be one and now I have one. What a letdown.

It wasn't too long after surgery, maybe a day, when I noticed the walker laying up against wall across from the bed. It didn't take me long to figure out that there was a good chance that particular walker was mine. It wasn't there by accident. This was confirmed by the nurse when she told me, "We'll get you up and standing in your walker while we make the bed." My walker? Later in the day, I was given a quick lesson in its use and was told once again that it was all mine and that I would only get one like this, free, in my lifetime. If I lost it, I was out of luck!

OK, I'm home and the walker came with me. I'm even appreciative of its presence, despite the fact that it has left 'walker tracks' all around the house; thin lines in the carpet left by wheel and brake as I drag myself around. Hey, it's definitely better than crawling!

2 comments:

Kitty said...

That walker will soon be banned to the back of the closet and start gathering dust. You will be back among the true walkers soon.

Steven said...

It can't come soon enough, but in the meantime, it's my best friend!