Sunday, July 19, 2009

It’s over…sort of

I'm 5 days post op and 2 days post hospital. Life goes on. And let me tell you about the pain! Yesterday afternoon, I was pretty well armed with my new drugs to stop pain. Norco, Neurontin, Tizanidine, Dilaudid and etc. I was sedated as much as I could be without falling over, but the only pain relief came when I was asleep. It's the same thing this morning; once I'm upright, the pain strikes me from every angle. Yikes! Did I do too much on Saturday morning? And how much is too much?

Well, I'm off to do a walk. From the study to the kitchen and back. Can I make it? (Minutes go by…tap your foot in frustration) OK, I'm back. I found that the trip down was very comfortable. I opened the door for the cat, heated up my creamer and made my cuppa tea, took my temperature (99.4) and then found that I hadn't included the Tizanidine in my 3:30 round of pills, so I took one. Up the hallway I rolled and then sat at here at the desk, still upright.

Anywho…what I discovered while making this trek was the fact that the pain decreases in a direct relationship with my speed. The slower I do anything, the less pain I have. So now I go slow, very, very slow, and it's enough to make my head explode. I'm the guy that hates to wait for anything and now I find myself waiting for…me.

Well, I'm certainly well medicated. There is still a lot of pain in my right hip and thigh and that comes right through the drugs, ripping through! I'm also quite 'spacey' this morning; I can't depend on 'me' for anything at all. I better explore and see what I really can do and what I think I can do..

I'm back and can report that I'm feeling better. My posture also dictates my pain levels, so I have to spend some time getting settled into just the right spot. Also, I have to move my fingers slowly on the keyboard or I am very frustrated by the many misspellings. And have I told you about the hallucinations? They would be scary if I weren't medicated to the brim. Plus, I talk to myself a lot; or I talk to the mysterious people that are here in the room with me. I only see them briefly and then they move to a place behind me.


 

2 comments:

Kitty said...

Anyone I might know? :-)

Steven said...

They have bodies, but no faces. Odd.