Tuesday, June 02, 2009

The Good News

The good news is…the surgery is now scheduled for the 14th of July. I have a real date that I can put on my calendar and count down the days.

Am I nervous? Yes, a little bit, but I do have the advantage of past medical training and I do know exactly what will be happening during this particular surgery. I even have prior experience with the same surgery, a laminectomy/foraminotomy/spinal fusion. As a Navy Hospital Corpsman on an orthopedic ward, I worked for a neurosurgeon and I took care of fusion patients. But that was close to 50 years ago and the procedure is much better today than it was back then. 50 years ago, some doctors would not even attempt a fusion like this. They only had wire to work with, plus some bone fragments from the patient's own hip. Now they have titanium rods and screws and polyaryletheretherketone cages to hold the biological bone growth material in place. High tech indeed!

Also, I have been educating myself as much as I can about the procedures. The current wisdom says that a well informed patient is less fearful and will have better results from the surgery. So I read and then I read some more. I have also looked at some of the videos that are available on-line. Those are hard to take at first viewing; after all, you are looking at a very large incision in the patients back and abdomen, with exposed bone, blood and lots of stainless steel hardware being used in some 'innovative' ways. The video I was watching was of a laminectomy being done in New Zealand and it was very graphic. But, I will view them again, just to be certain I know what will be happening.

As for the results, those will be up to me. Again, current wisdom says that the patient must take an active role in their own recovery and that means walking, walking and more walking. Starting the day after surgery, you have to be on your feet and moving. Pain must be secondary and must not interfere with your progress. Pain meds will be prescribed and only the stupid would refuse them for the lame reason that they don't want to appear to be weak in some way.

OK, it's easy to write this stuff today; what will I be saying the day before the surgery and the weeks after? Time will tell.


 

2 comments:

Kitty said...

Always best to be optimistic on these things. I think next year at this time, you may be back on the marathon circuit, walking, slow or fast doesn't matter.

Steven said...

Optimism rules! I won't mind being at the back of the pack during the next marathon. After all, I have 5 'good' marathons to remember.