Friday, September 08, 2006

Short and Sweet

Not bad at all…I decided to go for a short and fast walk this morning and the results were gratifying. I was able to do 5 miles in 62 minutes; giving me a 12.4 minute/mile average.

I suppose I will never be a good competitive race walker and that’s OK. I really don’t feel the drive to do that; it requires more dedication than I’m willing to give it and I don’t see myself changing. My training schedule is based on how I feel and not on what I should be doing. And truth be told, I don’t want to spend that much time on training. I’ve done well, losing a lot of weight and gaining lots of endurance and pride. My only goal, really, is to stay fit. Walking is healthy. I don’t take any medications at all and my doctor seemed surprised at that…after all, I’m 66 years old and apparently I’m supposed to be actively supporting the pharmaceutical industry, not the sports shoe industry.

I heard a startling figure the other day; 21 million people in America are diabetic. That’s an epidemic! Yet the easiest way to help in the fight against that disease is right there at the end of our legs…

BP 117/53 Pulse 57 and Weight is 194

No comments: