Friday, October 27, 2006

For and Against

I got in a good training walk yesterday morning, a 6.38 miler at a 12.7 minute/mile pace. And once again I debated with myself as to whether or not I should be a runner or a walker. Why do I do that? On the plus side for racewalking is the fact that it gives you a great cardio workout without the jarring impact that running gives your body. The negative is the fact that very few people racewalk and so you’re stuck with the fact that you will probably always practice alone. Running has a certain “elite” aura to it. Runners are perceived as being special in some way. Racewalkers are simply “odd” and often confused with the so-called speed walkers. Most people don’t realize that racewalking is a highly disciplined sport and an Olympic event; and it has been for close to a hundred years. Even baseball can’t claim that! Can you run a 6 minute mile? The world record for racewalking a mile is under 5 ½ minutes.

Statistics…5K was completed at a 12.35 minute/mile pace. 4 miles at 12.5

Weight... 200. Shame on me!

No comments: