Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Better Late Than Never

And now, what about yesterday? Well, it started out with an early drive in to Chico and the VW dealer, where I left the car and headed over to Bidwell Park. As I was walking up 6th Street, near Flume, I spotted someone coming out of a small restaurant and setting up some tables and chairs on the sidewalk. Flo’s was the name of the place and I made a mental note to stop there on the way back.

It’s an enjoyable walk through this part of Chico, with lots of trees and old houses. The downside is the condition of the sidewalk, as it’s been heaved up and broken in so many places by the roots of those grand old trees. The city has tried to patch the sidewalk, but it’s still a minefield of tripping hazards and you have to keep your eyes down at all times.

Once in the park, I walked about 6 miles at a good pace. But again, I had to keep my eyes on the trail as for some reason, there were dog droppings everywhere…what’s with these people? And sure enough, as I was getting close to 1-Mile, there was a young lady with her dog and that dog was doing what dogs do in the park. The young lady was looking all around; who had seen her? I was the only witness so far, so she stood and waited, looking much disturbed, till she thought I was safely past…that’s life in the park.

I re-traced my steps to Flo’s and just as I was about to enter, my cell phone rang. It was the VW dealer with the bad news that I needed a new battery. A $210 new battery! Labor included of course.

OK, it was time for some sustenance and I entered Flo’s. It’s pretty small, but they had latte’s and I ordered a ginger-lemon muffin to go with it. I took them outside to enjoy the morning air while seated at one of those sidewalk tables. That’s when I noticed the doorway into Flo’s had mosaic art surrounding it. The doorway was framed with teapots, cups and saucers embedded in the grout. Very nice.

OK, here’s the review…excellent latte. The muffin was so-so. The flavors weren’t as intense as I thought they should be. But I will return for the coffee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Flo'S!!! I've been wanting to go there...it was recommended by one of the nursery assistants. Homey atmosphere, good eats...and not far from the nursery. They have musicians some nights. They feature local artwork...and of course she said you have to check out the mosaics!