Sunday, July 10, 2005

Memories

I guess that last post unleashed some memories...

I have always been a walker. I remember, as a child of 7 or 8, walking down the Strand from Manhattan Beach to Redondo Beach and back. About 8.5 miles...just because we wanted to. And since we lived in the tree section of this beach town, we had to walk a little over 1 mile to get to the beach, and that was a daily occurence. Our mother didn't drive, so whining didn't work to obtain transportation. High school was a mile and 3/4's away and I walked that daily...until I got my drivers license!

After high school, the Navy beckoned and my first memories of boot camp are of being introduced to the "Grinder". That was acres and acres of asphalt that we were to spend days and days walking up and down, back and forth upon. The "Grinder" or Parade Grounds, were immense! I remember our drill instructor telling us of some impossible number of miles that we were going to spend marching upon its surface. I have forgotten the exact number...but I do remember that it went on for 3 long months. "Company!...Left oblique...hut!...

All of this time I had to wonder just what kind of Navy I had joined? How far can you march on a ship?

No comments: