Saturday, July 30, 2005

Day 70

Later this morning I will be heading into town and to Bidwell Park for a long walk. It’s supposed to be warm today, so I need to start early if I want to be comfortable. I need to get in more long walks now that I’m down to the last few months of training. At the same time, I don’t want to over-train.

I did get in some speed walking yesterday, getting up to 4.7 mph or 12.7 minutes per mile. But I have to admit that I get somewhat pessimistic when I look at my times from the year 2001 and 2002. I was really fast then, and when I looked at my later times in 2002, I see that I was doing 5 and 6 miles walks at an average of 12.25, day after day.. Will I ever get back to those kinds of speed? (I did the marathon in 2001 at an average speed of 14.41 minute miles.) Well, maybe I can do it again…

And back in those days I kept an Excel spreadsheet that calculated everything for me, including my total distance walked. I was doing a "virtual" walk across the country and I would keep track of where I would be on a mapping program of mine. When I stopped using the program, in May of 2002, I was 212 miles west of Omaha, Nebraska. Maybe I should begin the walk again?

No comments: