Thursday, June 08, 2006

Dog Days

Quite a day in the park…I went there for a short and fast walk (8 miles) and I did succeed, even better than I thought I might. I did it in 1 hour and 38 minutes, which translates into 12.25 minute/miles. That’s not far off my 4-mile race pace from a week ago – 12.095.

Just getting to the park took some effort this morning as the highway into town is still under construction and even at 6 AM I had to wait for the flagman to allow one-way traffic through Hamilton City. It’s going to be a long summer!

And for the second time this week, I was chased by a dog…the same dog, which makes me even madder. It’s a golden retriever and it’s not well trained. Neither is the owner. On Tuesday, it came after me, jumping and leaping at me. I avoided it three times – while the owner scolded, “Bad dog!” Of course it wasn’t on a leash. I should point out that I never felt that the dog was dangerous, just a bother! This morning, the same scenario ensued, except this time the dog grabbed my arm in its mouth. It didn’t break the skin. And it didn’t seem to bother the owner that much, - “I’m so sorry…Oh you bad dog!” and she kept right on walking, never looking back at me. Tomorrow? I’m kicking the dog! Hard.

I suppose I should have stopped and complained at length to the owner and explained that I didn’t appreciate dog slobber all over my arm, but I was walking with a purpose and didn’t want to stop. It’s the same tomorrow. No stopping to explain, just one good kick. But should I kick the dog, or the owner? Decisions, decisions!

No comments: