Tuesday, June 20, 2006

One for the books - Anchorage

It's over and we're back...well,almost back. We have stopped for the night in Susanville and will be heading home as soon as we have had breakfast.

This was a good marathon and not a great one. We redeemed ourselves after an embarrassing performance in the Valley of the Giants marathon, but we didn't do as well as we did in last year's Portland marathon. How well did we do? I wish I knew! We had timing chips, but apparently they were only to be used at the finish.There were no activation mats to run across at the start and none at the midpoint. I'm going to do some more checking but I believe that they used "Gun Time" to start everyone and then used the chips only to determine your finish time, as the finish linewas the only place where you ran across an activation mat.

Short story; I'm going with 6 hours flat and Jill was 2 seconds under that. I had planned to start my GPS timer as soon as I had crossed the starting mat,but when I didn't see one,I hesitated for quite awhile before starting that timer. At the finish,my timer said 6:01.The marathon website says 6:05 but since we had hung back at the start, we know that can't be right.

After we get home and unpacked,I will post some of the photos here and let you know more about the 2006 Mayors Midnight Sun Marathon

No comments: