Monday, April 24, 2006

Better Times Are Ahead

OK! A good time and a surprise as well. I wasn’t all that happy when I started out this morning. I had left my pack in Susanville and it contains my Kleenex, my pedometer and my GPS unit; plus my bandages for the occasional blister.

I had to make do with another “fanny pack” and just that was enough to make me grouchy. But I started out with the intention of doing 10 easy miles. I knew the distance for that was out to the gate and back twice. At the end of the first 5 miles I was doing a 12.6 minute/mile pace and I was happy with that. Then I decided to see if I could pick up the pace for the next five.

On my way and at the 7 mile mark, I felt the first little itch that signals the beginning of a blister on my left heel, so I decided to turn it around and go for a fast nine miles instead. And I ended up with a 12.0 minute/mile average for 9 miles. That has made me very optimistic about the upcoming race…

Another benefit was the fact that I put another 9 miles on the “death” shoes. I have found that these New Balance shoes are great once they are broken in, but they kill me until that happens.

No comments: