Thursday, July 20, 2006

Breathing

Want to lose 4 pounds in a hurry? Try doing a fast 6.25 mile walk around Bidwell Park on a summer morning. Those were my results this morning; weighing back in at 194 pounds after a pleasant walk.

It was fairly cool at 6 this morning; maybe 75°. There was no problem finding a parking place at that hour. Later, around 8, parking is at a premium; though I have no idea as to why anyone would want to start their exercise routine so late in the day.

I kept to a medium fast pace, not looking for trouble and pretty soon the miles were clicking by without effort. I had one irritating moment when I saw a huge dust cloud and found a park employee, gas-powered leaf blower in hand, standing by her truck. What are these people thinking? Air breathing animals (people) are using the park! Why would you contaminate that air? Of course the whole idea of using a gas-powered machine to redistribute dirt, dust and debris doesn’t make much sense anyway. And since I hadn’t brought any timing devices, I had to guess at the overall time. 6.25 miles in 82 minutes, more or less.

Tomorrow will be a 10 miler so I will have to start early once again. It’s really the perfect time; I can leave my glasses in the car because the sun isn’t in my eyes at that hour and it’s quiet in the park, no crowds.

No comments: