Monday, February 20, 2006

Winner

I got a call from my #1 daughter the other day. She was calling to tell me that I had won something at the Almond Blossom 5K…I had left right after the race as I had to get back to Orland to pursue my “artistic” career. Our watercolor class had already started and I was late!

Granddaughter Meghan and son-in-law David were at the awards ceremony and heard my name being called as the winner of the 5K Men’s Walking division. Meghan was kind enough to accept my award for me.

We went into town yesterday and picked up the award (Denise had brought it to work with her) and I must say it is quite nice! A dark green enameled plaque with the name of the race on it and the date. It has been a long time since I had last received an award of any kind…was it the pie eating contest in Manhattan Beach, back when I was about 9 years old? I think I placed first in that memorable contest.

Obviously, the Almond Blossom is now my favorite race and I must prepare to defend my title next year, as I’m certain that many will want to topple me from my throne. I’m going to have to do better than 37:49 for the 5K, that’s for sure!

No comments: