Friday, October 14, 2005

All Right!

I just got back from a walk around Bidwell Park. I figured that it was time for me to get back on the road if I wanted to stay in shape. I must say that I enjoyed the days off after the marathon, but...I had to find out if I was still in good shape after the rigors of last weekends 26.2 miles at a fast pace. So I decided to go once around the park as fast I could. And, surprise! I did the 6.33 miles at an average of 12.16 minutes per mile. That's real close to 5 mph.

For the metrically minded, that's 6.33 mile = 10.1871475 kilometers or 7.558 kph. I think.

And I should note here that I used a racewalking form throughout the entire time. It wasn't the best form ever seen and I would have been DQ'ed if I had been in a judged race. But as much as I enjoy plain old fast walking...it has limits and racewalking doesn't. If I want to go fast, I have to racewalk. It's all about efficiency when you need to get beyond the 12.5 mph barrier of fast walking, and racewalking, with short steps and fast turnovers is the only way to go.

No comments: