Saturday, November 10, 2007

Two Miles vs 30 Miles

As planned, I walked the two miles this morning with an eye on keeping my pace in the 12 minute range. And I did the first mile in 12:43; not bad. Coming back, I tried to keep up the pace and finished in 12:39...yes, it was downhill.

BP is 119/69 with a pulse of 60. I can see some progress! Weight is 216. Needs work.

Some stray thoughts from the walk: 1. I guess I will have to plan on walking for health for the rest of my life. My bad habit of eating means that I need to exercise every day. As soon as I relax and take a break from the walking, I gain weight and the blood pressure goes up. 2. Since I have planned on a marathon for next year, I need to prepare myself mentally as well as physically for the distance. What I've done in the past was to work my way up to 21 miles over a period of 4 months. The thought is that if you can do 21 miles, the excitement of race day will make the remaining 5.2 miles easy for you. And it works. But I thought I might start doing some 30 milers around June, in preparation for the marathon date in late September. In the 3 months I could do 4 or 5 of the 30 mile walks. If you can do 30, 26.2 is a snap! 30 miles is about a 7 hour walk.

No comments: