Monday, June 20, 2005

Bad News

So, why did all of this happen? I started out with great expectations this morning, hoping to travel all throughout Orland and do a much longer walk than usual. I had my new GPS unit strapped on my wrist and was feeling good! And I did walk a much longer route, up and down streets, through the Library Park, back and forth through downtown Orland. All of this time I kept checking my pace and it was consistently in the 4.4 mph range. Finally, it was time to head home. It was just as I was passing the new building on Hwy 32 that disaster struck.

The builders have been working on the new sidewalk and it was there that I tripped on the edge of the sawcut asphalt and fell, cutting my knee and getting some dramatic looking gravel burns on my hands and elbow. Two workers, looked up briefly, asked if I were alright? and then returned to what they were doing as it seemed that I was going to be OK.

I continued on my way, trying to assess my condition by using the effected joints. There didn't seem to be any lasting damage, so I continued on; that's when the lens fell out of my glasses.

With the lens restored and my water bottle in hand, I was off once again...and I made it home to discover that my GPS had only kept track of my elapsed time and had added all of the other trip information to yesterday's data.

OK, it was 1 hour and 45 minutes and I am going to estimate that it was 7.24 miles

Now I have to read the direction book for my GPS unit again.

No comments: