Monday, June 13, 2005

Paul Richard Smith

I received some sad news on Saturday...my newsletter from the Sierra Racewalkers revealed that Paul had died after a long battle with cancer. He was the coach for the Sierra Racewalkers and one of the founders of the club. Paul was also a most memorable man. Selfless and always of good cheer, he was always promoting racewalking. He encouraged everyone he met and will be certainly be missed.

When I first started racewalking, Paul was quick to tell me that he was certain that I would be able to do a 10 minute mile...and he was right. He just kept telling me until I believed it myself.

I also remember a Volksmarch event that I talked Laurae into attending. a 7 mile hike up and down mountains in the area of Carson Pass. We were at 7,000 feet most of the day and Laurae was having a difficult time. But, then Paul came along and walked with us...encouraging her. We finished the hike. We weren't the fastest by any means. But we had accomplished something.

No comments: