Saturday, August 06, 2005

Day 63

I have an appointment with the park this morning; where I will spend about 4 hours walking slowly and with purpose. All part of the marathon training. I did a 7 mile walk yesterday, first getting in 3 miles with Laurae at a slower pace (3.3) and then 4 miles at a 4.2 mph pace. The slow pace will be the hard part as it’s not natural for me. I want to move! And finding the right pace is difficult…I want to be able to do the marathon at a steady 14 minute mile pace and that would give me a 6 hour time for the distance. (In 2001, I did it with a 14.41 pace) But that is too fast for the long training walks, where a 15 minute mile is more appropriate. (Or even slower)

The weather is not cooperating with my training plans and the forecast is for a high of 103°+. If I start early; 6:30, then I should finish up before the heat becomes a big factor. I keep hoping that these hot training days will translate into improved endurance during the marathon, when temperatures will be considerably cooler.

No comments: