Monday, September 12, 2005

Barriers

This morning I have a walk in the park planned and it should go well. It’s just a fast 6 mile walk and those are fairly easy to do now. One hour and 20 minutes is now the normal time for that distance. When did I become faster? The funny thing about the training is how the perspective changes. A walk of one time around the park was once a challenge and now it’s a short walk. I walk 3 times around the park for my challenges now and even that is becoming easier. For awhile, I saw the 13.1 mile (half marathon) distance as a barrier to overcome. Now it’s a routine distance and quite easy to do. The only challenge I see in the immediate future is a 21 mile walk on the Biz Johnson Trail. After that, the marathon distance of 26.2 miles will be a snap! As I stated earlier, marathons are easy to do if you simply separate them into do-able portions of time and distance. I am using 6 miles, the distance around the park, as my do-able. Four of those equals 24 miles and the remaining 2+ miles will be easy, just a third of a 6 mile portion.

No comments: