Saturday, August 19, 2006

Long Walk Day

I have just returned from a long walk in the park, 15 miles worth. And it was most interesting; sometimes frustrating but always interesting. I started later than I should have, starting at 6:30 and then I was up to 4.8 mph in no time. Wrong! This was supposed to be my long and slow weekend walk and I quickly cooled it down to 4.4 mph. And to my surprise, I didn’t even break a sweat until I had gone about 2 miles.

I made it around the first time in 86 minutes, a very manageable 13.76 minutes per mile. A drink of water and I set out for the next lap. And on my way I spoke to Lin Jensen, the faster Chico racewalker. He asked if I were doing any races soon and I told him I was doing Portland and Westwood/Susanville in October. Of course I asked him what his plans were and he told me that he was too busy for any races this year; being wrapped up with his duties as a Buddhist prison chaplain at High Desert. Whoa! What a surprise…

The second time around was a little more problematic; more people and more congestion on the path. The bicycles were especially bad this morning; never giving any warning and cutting as close as possible. Most annoying! And then there were the dog walkers with 3 or more dogs in each hand. Try passing a group of dog walkers who have suddenly stopped to chat!

The park is a wonderful place and this morning it was being used by lots of people with lots of different interests…which made it quite difficult to navigate. One lady, a birdwatcher, suddenly decided to stop and look up into a tree. All well and good except for the fact that I was directly behind her.

The final score; 210 minutes divided by 15 miles = 14 minute miles. OK. The idea was to build up some mileage and not see how fast I could do it. I was successful. Tomorrow I will do a quick 4 or 5 miler and then take Monday off.

BP 107/54 Pulse 74 Weight 197

And afterwards, I decided to see if I could find Victory Tattoo and find out how much it would cost for the marathon tattoos I want. I didn’t find the place but I did find another coffee shop, Coco Caffe. I’m not bothering with that one again. I was obviously in the wrong age group and was royally snubbed. Age discrimination! As I left the shopping center I glanced over to the right and there was Victory Tattoo; I just hadn’t gone far enough. Oh well, next time.

No comments: