Saturday, August 12, 2006

Success

Now that’s more like it! Since I wanted to make Saturday my long walk day, I started out with the intention of doing at least 10 miles and I ended up doing 10.5 miles, plus or minus; or up the path to Manzanita and back again, twice. It’s not the most accurate but it will do for now. And I did the first 5.25 miles in 1 hour and 5 minutes, a good 12.38 minute/mile average. Then it was time for a 30 second break, long enough to swallow some water and then I returned to the task. This time I ended up getting to my first milestone almost a minute faster than the previous time. I was moving too fast! I slowed it down and came back to the car with a time of 1 hour and 8 minutes. That adds up to a 12.66 mile minute/average and I was really happy about that number. Especially since I was able to do it without any signs of fatigue or any pain. During a marathon, I wouldn’t expect to walk at that pace; a more realistic number will be 13.25 minute/miles. That would give me a 5 hour and 50 minute time, plus or minus.

And I do love the park early on a Saturday morning. Everyone you see is there because they are dedicated to fitness. Lots of smiles and a few grimaces. But the atmosphere is all about the purpose of our meeting there at a time of morning when most are still in bed.

There is a runner I have mentioned before; always wears a man’s long-sleeve dress shirt and an odd hat. I see her run by and know that the next time I see her she will be on her bicycle. I’m pretty sure she is training for triathlons…and wouldn’t be surprised to spot her swimming up Chico Creek.

And the Chico Running Club meets near Manzanita for their Saturday morning run. I tried to remain inconspicuous as I passed by, as I haven’t paid my dues for this year!

Vital signs…weight is 194 BP is 117/63 Pulse 64

And looking in the mirror, I see that I’m losing muscle mass. That is to be expected as you age, but at the same time I’m developing a runners body once more. The muscles have a different purpose now. I don’t have a “six-pack”, a “4-pack” is a better description

No comments: